I was digging through my immense pile of picture books the other day when I came across this treasure:
Groovy Joe Ice Cream & Dinosaurs
About the Book: As you probably know, Eric Litwin is the author of the original Pete the Cat books. Not surprisingly, the Groovy Joe books have a similar feel to them: bouncy, rhythmic, charming and fun.
In this story, our furry, guitar-playing friend, Groovy Joe, gets a hold of some very delicious ice cream. It's so yummy he can't help but sing "Love my doggy ice cream! Love my doggy ice cream!". Groovy Joe happily shares his ice cream with a group of dinosaurs and all is fun and games until .... they run out of ice cream. Oh oh! The dinosaurs are glaring at Joe. Now what?
This is a happy, sweet book full of rhymes, repetition and bright, colourful illustrations. It has a lovely message about sharing and is perfect for preschoolers to Grade 1. Kids will enjoy the humour and might just feel inclined to get up and dance with Groovy Joe and his dinosaur pals.
FREE & FUN RESOURCES!
- 10 Free downloadable Groovy Joe songs and stories from Scholastic.
- Some extension activities and printables, also from Scholastic. There are rhyming, math and sharing activities.
- Learn the Groovy dance (see video below).
- Graph your favourite ice cream flavour. Give each child a small paper cone, have them colour it their favourite flavour, then create a large, whole-class graph of favourite flavours. Use the graph to figure out the most favourite flavour, the least favourite, etc. (Download below)
- Older kids (ages 5-7) can colour and count the ice cream cones then circle groups of ten to figure out how many in all. (Download below)
- Colour a big beautiful ice cream cone. Decorate it with glitter and/or real sprinkles. Display in your classroom. (Download below)
Groovy Joe: Ice Cream & Dinosaurs is the first in a series of Groovy Joe books (there are two more). You can find them all here, if you're interested.
I also have some new ice cream cone clip art! There are 125 images in all, in various colours, with and without sprinkles and faces, as well as blacklines. You can find them in my TpT shop.
Thanks for stopping by!